Steering Committee on Preventing and Addressing Sexual Violence
The University of Guelph is committed to creating an open and transparent culture around preventing and addressing sexual violence. We know that combatting sexual violence requires communal, collaborative action, including involvement from units and departments across our campuses. The importance of this commitment cannot be over emphasized.
In 2018, the University of Guelph updated its Sexual Violence Policy and associated procedures for students as well as faculty and staff. In addition, in 2020, U of G received two reports with a series of recommendations related to improving our policies and procedures with respect to sexual violence. The first report is from the Sexual Violence Task Force, a group made up of both internal and external members. The second report comes from an external review of the Department of Athletics by McLaren Global Sports Solutions. Together, these reports offer recommendations that can help chart our path forward.
• Receive regular reports from the Sexual Violence Advisory Committee (Students) and the Gryphons Athletics Sexual Violence Committee, as well as ad hoc reports such as the 2020 Sexual Violence Task Force and McLaren Global Sport Solutions reports; Review and oversee implementation of recommendations from these reports.
• Identify gaps, make suggestions for change, and initiate actions that will help us build a safer and more inclusive campus.
• Provide regular updates to the President, University Leadership Team and the Board of Governors.
The committee will meet 3-4 times per year or as needed.
Dr. Gwen Chapman, Provost and Vice-President (Academic)
Paula Barata, Acting Associate Dean (Academic), Department of Psychology, CSAHS
Susan Dobson, School of Fine Art and Music, COA
Curtis Holmes, Lead Hand Residence Porter, Student Housing Services
Sly Castaldi, Executive Director, Guelph-Wellington Women in Crisis
Irene Thompson, Interim Vice-Provost, Student Affairs
Indira Naidoo-Harris, Associate Vice-President, Diversity and Human Rights
Martha Harley, Associate Vice-President, Human Resources
- Genevieve (Gen) Gauthier-Chalifour, University Secretary
Mary Murphy, University Legal Counsel
Scott McRoberts, Director of Athletics
- Jan Klotz, Associate Director, Student Wellness
Laurie Arnott, Assistant Vice-President, Faculty & Academic Staff Relations
Pat Kelly, Interim Director of Student Housing